The First Presbyterian Church of Maitland was organized on May 16, 1882, by Rev. William Flagler Wallace as Maitland Presbyterian Church with ten charter members.
During its first several years, services and Sunday School were held in the Methodist building on the Southeast corner of Route 17 & 92 and Horatio Avenue.
God looked kindly on these dedicated people, for soon a gift of land was received from R. James Little, a prominent Canadian minister, for use as a site on which to build their own church. This land was approximately one acre and described by the surveyor in “chains and links having 3 chains and 16 1/2 links per each for four boundaries” (208.92 ft).
An architect was commissioned to design the church after which David Morrison, a fine cabinet maker and carpenter, was commissioned to build the church which was fondly called and remembered as “The Little White Church by the Side of the Road,” and was dedicated in June of 1885.
The Historical Foundation, First Presbyterian Church of Maitland